Author Topic: Post-BSB - What worked, what didn't, what to do better next year!  (Read 50 times)

Louis L

• Administrator
Please reply with your thoughts on the good, the bad and the ugly. I will update the OP to act as a summary.

Lists starts here:

The Good
  • Our announcing team was great!
  • The pizza got here on-time. Actually it got here early.
  • We squeezed in all matches (8 per team), played 3x3 and still got done before 4PM.
  • We got the field up in under 8 hrs.
  • We tore it down and put it all into the PODS before the sun went down.
The Bad:
  • We need ONE person to do the signage. We ended up looking for this or that sign because different people did different things. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
  • We had no video of the event.
The Ugly:
  • The floor paper in the Pit area was aweful. Two main reasons for this
    (1) I forgot what that last year we used 2 of the grey rubber mats from the large gym in the pit area. The large gym had extra mats that we didn't use - the area towards the unused seating
    (2) the paper wasn't put down flat and the tape job was sloppy. That left all sorts of lumps on the paper.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:35:46 PM by Louis L »

Benjamin K

Re: Post-BSB - What worked, what didn't, what to do better next year!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 06:30:37 AM »
II thought overall bsb was fun and I really enjoyed being on the drive team. However I think after the 2 matches I had and mmy shift was done for volunteering it was kind of boring.  I think next year there should be something to do when you are done with everything you have to do.

Neil K

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
The Good
  • It was energetic.
  • We got a good turn-out.
  • We built a sense of collaboration and friendly competition with the teams in our area.
  • The community knows about us now!
  • R5-D4 came!
  • The MC's were hype beasts!

The Bad

• The competition itself got a bit repetitive.
  • The sound system mishap during the national anthem
  • Spectators who weren't robotics team members had difficulty understand what the robots were supposed to be doing.

The Ugly

• The flooring was pretty uneven.
  • Our team spirit fizzled out a little towards the middle of the competition.

Overall, it was a great time. Let's do it again next year, and make it even better!

Louis L

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
II thought overall bsb was fun and I really enjoyed being on the drive team. However I think after the 2 matches I had and mmy shift was done for volunteering it was kind of boring.  I think next year there should be something to do when you are done with everything you have to do.

Any ideas what can be done? It's hard because we have a large number of students. Most teams probably had just one drive team so they kept busy but we had 4.

There's also the reality that when we go to a real competition, those not actively working in some way will get bored. So we encourage everyone to be responsible for doing something.