• Welcome to Redshift Project Depot.

Team Website 2.0 -- Changes and Additions to our website

Started by Lucas V, August 02, 2016, 11:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas V

Might as well have a thread for the website. Lou's email on the website follows:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

"I just updated the web site with a basic page with info on Bay State Brawl. Please take a look.
As I was editing, I came across many things that are inconsistent or broken on the web site in general. If you come across any, feel free to send me a description of the problem. I want to assemble a punch list of issues.

On the new page, I know that the "resource" menu selection does not have the moving underscore highlight.
Also need to add pricing info.
And mention Halloween
Contact info

Anything else?

Also, looking ahead, we should start putting together ideas of what this page will have. For example we already talked about a few.
team registration
volunteer
directions / map
Rules tweak
???"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Louis L

List of things to do on the team web site.
Not in any order.
Mark status and date for each item.

• BSB page - "Resource" tab on menu does not have moving underscore (done 8/25/16)
  • ABOUT page - Remove member pictures that no longer apply (done 8/25/16)
  • ABOUT page - very bottom, it says "about us" and "about". On top is says About Us. Use just one of these. (done 8/28/16)
  • ABOUT page - remove contact portion at bottom since it's just about the footer with the same info. Add google map. (done 8/28/16)
  • ABOUT page - fix horizontal secondary menu, not working properly. (mostly fixed 8/28/16)
  • Team phone number and address - do we update it? (removed phone number, corrected email address and syntax, done 8/25/16)
  • Copyright notice - update it. (done 8/25/16)
  • Email address - why a gmail address? (replaced with team4048.org auto-forwarder, done 8/25/16)
  • link to old forum? (removed dead link 8/28/16)
  • "R" - favicon is ugly. Change it. (done 8/29/16)
  • all pages - check all spacings of page objects. Make sure to check spacing at top and bottom. Don't make visitors scroll page when not needed. (done 8/30/16)
  • all pages - check text (done 8/30/16)
  • SPONSORS page - update list of sponsors. Check wording of companies. Make corporate links spawn new page. Company logos are way too big. The entire page is too large. All sponsor logos should be grouped at the top of the page so they can be seen all at once. Visitors do not care to scroll down the entire list to see what other sponsors there are. This is bad design. (done 8/30/16)
  • FIRST page - remove "stats"; cleanup this page in general. We don't want to be spending time maintaining information that is not under our control. (done 8/29/16)
  • ABOUT page - remove big, useless logos under "what we do". (didn't remove, shrunk them down 8/25/16)
  • Does forum need its favicon updated as well? (done 8/30/16)
  • ABOUT page - need to add stuff there about outside activities - stuff we participate in, companies we visit, etc. Related to item 5. (done 9/4/16)
  • BSB page - add volunteer signup (done 9/2/16)
  • BSB page - add team signup (done 9/2/16)
  • BSB page - add information about food, misc other events (done 9/2/16)
  • Check Links info (done 9/4/16)
  • Add WHS logo somewhere (done 9/4/16)
  • Update permission slips for 2016-7. (done 9/4/16)
  • Temporarily removed Ingenuity form to avoid confusion. Will enable/update later (done 9/10/16)
  • ABOUT page - add new pictures of people
  • SPONSOR page - add more info on our sponsorship levels and biz plan.

Lucas V

Do we care about the mobile version of the site? It's mostly fine but the tabs are not correctly aligned.

Louis L

Not at the moment. I guess you can say it's a bonus if we can get it to work nicely on mobile devices but for now I'll be happy if it can look nice on desktops!

I made some changes last night and restored it to the way it is currently checked-in under GIThub. I had previously made some changes in the formatting and appearance that were never checked in and I wanted to restart from a fresh perspective. Also I was complaining to Brayden last night and he said he'll take a look at the code as well so between the two of you, maybe we can have something that's finally close to being done before the start of the next FRC season. There are areas where the code can/should be cleaned up to avoid confusion. Comments would also be nice! My goal at this point is to have something that's presentable and easily modified as needed. I don't want to do lots of handholding and frequent edits - it's too much of a time sink otherwise; we have more important things to focus on as a team.

Lucas V

Got it. I'll talk to Brayden so we can figure this out.