• Welcome to Redshift Project Depot.

Set-Up & Tear Down

Started by Dan K, July 29, 2016, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan K

just a sketch of what we got from the high school gyms, map for future reference
note: I'm bad at drawing, its not to scale

What we need to consider
Deciding layout - where will the activities, pits, etc. be organized?
Figuring out how to quickly set everything up
Making sure everything is set up properly (all the activities, decorations, etc.)
Training volunteers to help with set-up
Ensuring there are enough directional cues to make it easy for spectators - signs, guides, etc.

Saty E

Here are the photos in relation with Dan's drawings.

Small Gym (Pits): https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xAXYHR6hf2oBgKojLHPUlbaS9lxJPmgg_yUUjhVwAu4/edit?usp=sharing
Big Gym (Field): https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1CsafTGMcXilIyEICXR5tv16k5jZ_-KOzGUpGWP5_rfQ/edit?usp=sharing

I wasn't able to fit the pictures of all the exits to each of the gyms, but they are marked on Dan's drawings.

--EDIT 8/3/16--
So I asked a bit about the electrical in the gyms, and it seems like each circuit can hold up to 20A of load. Right now, I don't know which outlets are on which circuit, but the custodian I talked to will find out sometime soon, right now they're all swamped with getting the school prepped for the school year.

For covering the floors, there is a vinyl sheet that's about a 1mm thick or so that can be used to cover at least one gym. The custodian I talked to wasn't sure if there was enough to cover both, so I'll inquire about it later from the head custodian.

For tables, we'll most likely be able to use cafeteria tables that aren't being used by the mattress people.

--EDIT 10/9/16--
There's only enough floor covering to cover one of the two gyms.

So far no progress on finding out how much load each outlet can hold in the gym.

--EDIT 10/18/16--
Each of the outlets with orange colored plugs is its own 20A circuit. There's at least one of each on each wall of the gyms, so we can safely pull at most 80A if we spread the load across the 4 circuits. We shouldn't need to though.

Shreya C

At today's meeting we discussed layout extensively and Dan will have a scale model of the very rough layout sketch we made.

Other things we discussed that pertain to set up & tear down:

• Need to have 32 tables for pits, 5 for activities, 3 for food, 1 for safety, 1 for pit admin, 3 for FTAs, and 1 for registration - total of 46 tables
  • Also need to consider where we're renting them & the size of the tables
  • Pit tables should be more durable than the other tables
  • Must safeguard entry to the small gym
  • Have to control traffic of robots & people between small gym & big gym
  • Have to have caution tape/cones
  • Need to consider projector throw for positioning of projector
  • Need to get extension cords, two routers, a laptop

Louis L

Please read this over:
http://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/frc/events/off-season/2016/2016-field-manual-v2.pdf

It's long but there's plenty that can be skimmed. But more importantly, it gives an idea of how many people it takes to get various tasks done. Also gives requirements for the scoring table that we may not have thought through.

Dan K

Done. I would like to talk in person (next meeting) to clarify some things and to get a rough estimate to # of volunteers. There is also a lot of electrical work that needs to be done which I would (greatly) prefer to put someone else in charge of. Its quite easy and only requires a couple of people who know what they are doing. Other than that, I just have my notes of the plan written down.

Louis L

This is part playing field and part pit related.

We'll get 8ft wooden banquet tables from Taylor Rental on East Main St. They cost $10.25 each and will deliver for $20 each way. We should give them the order a few days ahead.

Louis L

Here's what we agreed on at today's BSB meeting. Tables will be ordered on Monday 10/24

14 -pits
1 - pit admin
3 - field scoring
2 - food
1 - registration
1 - safety glasses
4 - activities
--
26 total