• Welcome to Redshift Project Depot.

The Computer Side

Started by Lucas V, January 16, 2016, 11:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas V

The Computer side consists of a third-party QR Code Reader for Windows, which will read the QR Code from the tablets, and a Windows application written in C#, which will parse through the text file obtained from the QR Code and save its contents to the database. The C# program will also keep track of the amount of submissions per scout/tablet/match. An HP Stream tablet running Windows 10 will run the Computer Side.

Lucas V

Due to the change of plans:

• No more 3rd party QR Code Reader
  • No more UI
Data will be read in from a USB stick. The service will be written in Java.

Lucas V

An idea for the Computer Side service:

Anything can go wrong during the competition, but we can't completely halt the scouting process if something does go wrong. So as I was playing Xbox I thought of a few backup solutions for the service.

1- Service can't connect to Database.
If the database is still running but the program refuses to connect, we can make a very simple UI with a text box. The program will read the contents of the USB stick and generate SQL INSERTs. These can be put raw in the text box, so that the user may copy and paste the code directly onto MySQL to keep scouting going.

2- Database is down/not working properly/needs to be changed.
While we try to find a solution to the problem, the Service can archive the files it reads from the USB Stick. Once it is able to reconnect it can save all of the archived files to the Database.

What do you think? Anything other backup plans?

Louis L

There's always the pen and paper method of archival storage.

Lucas V

True, but we want to avoid that as far as we can. The ultimate goal of this project was to replace the pen-and-paper method with something smoother and less tree-killing...  :D

Lucas V

I might add a very simple JFrame UI:

• The user may have more than one root directory in the system identified as "USB Drive", and I can't magically guess which one the program needs to read so I need to ask the user. Having them take out other thumbs drives in the system is inconvenient.
  • The user may want the program to find a specific thumb drive automatically by drive name (instead of choosing one every time the program launches). I'd need to ask for a drive name with a dialog box.
  • For the backups I listed in previous replies I'd need a text box to put the backup SQL code.
  • For simplicity, I want to have the procedure to read the USB to be called by a button click.
Drawings to follow! They should be the simplest of things.
Flowchart also to follow.

Lucas V

By the way, I already have proofs of concept for finding a USB drive, getting type, name, using it, etc.